Because I could not stop for Death
~ He kindly stopped for me ~
Emily Dickinson
* * * * * *
Johnny's uncle Pete was buried this afternoon. In an old country cemetery, amidst many family members long laid to rest. He lived a good and righteous life, and there was soft chuckles as someone recalled a memory, smiles when one commented on his caring nature and his love for family. He loved, and was loved.
The following is the eulogy, delivered by family friend and minister Michael Brock. You did a beautiful job, Michael. Thank you~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"As I was searching for words to say, I was reminded of what a good man Walter Bailey was. But that wasn't the first thing I thought of when I thought of him. the first thing I thought of was how humble he was. I wish I could be as humble and as kind as this man. I never knew him to be harsh or unkind to anyone but was always pleasant and he was that way every time I saw him. I am reminded of what the inspired writer James states in James 4:5-10. Walter Bailey was a humble man.
Walter Bailey loved his family and his family loved him. Not just his wife and children, but his nieces and nephews also loved Uncle Pete, along with many others. Walter Bailey was a loving man and I know he will be greatly missed.
I also believe Walter to be a righteous man. I know when he lived in our area he attended services of the church and as already stated, his life reflected the characteristics of a Christian. Walter Bailey was a righteous man and I thank God for that.
But you know, I can't help each and every time I attend a service such as this, but to think of what the writer of Hebrews states in Hebrews 9:27, 'as it is appointed men once to die, but after this the judgement' and these appointments we all will make.
Through the grace of God, the chapter does not end with verse 27. Listen to verse 28: 'So Christ was once offered to bear the sins for many: and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.'
Listen to the inspired words of the apostle Paul as he describes our sinful nature but also the hope that we have in Christ, {Romans 7:14 - 8:1 and 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18}
My prayer would be to all of us in attendance here today, that we would examine ourselves and realize that we are sinful and that one day we will come to this time in our lives when opportunities are no more. That those who have not, would obey the Lord's plan of salvation so you would have that same hope the Apostle Paul had, that Walter had. "For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me in that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing."
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
As we drove through the country cemetery on our way out, John spoke of seeing headstones of his grandparents, great and great great grandparents. There is a beauty that rests within these grassy areas, and comfort knowing He cares, He weeps, He loves.

No comments:

~ from The Letter Writer ~

Related Posts with Thumbnails