The Church Across the Street


I've been listening to this song lately and it rips at my heart and soul each time. Sung by Timothy Mark, this is not a video by his company.  It is one that used his song and photos to illustrate the lyrics. Thinking back to a congregation we worshiped with downtown, I felt guilty knowing I never visited anyone in the homes on that block nor the apartments we parked behind.  Never. Not once did I try to share His word or invite them to come worship with us. I intend not to be that way anymore. Our time on this earth is brief, too brief. I can reach out to the woman in the line with me and I can stop long enough to the one stocking the shelves. Seeing weary eyes can give me the opening to stop and talk and minister to an overworked and tired soul.  Slumping shoulders gives me the opportunity to do what I can to make sure they go off a bit more straightened and the head held higher. I have neighbors I can visit and invite to worship.

It doesn't have to be about abortion, it is about paying attention to those around you, the ones you meet, the ones you pass, the ones you can help. This song has made a difference in my heart and I pray it touches yours.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ 37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ 40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

and one of my favorites ~

Hebrews 13:2 "Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels unaware."

And if you didn't understand the message in the first one, you should with this one.

No comments:

~ from The Letter Writer ~

Related Posts with Thumbnails